Saturday, October 20, 2012

Just Thinkin': Is Natural Hair a Trend?

The question of whether natural hair or the decision to go natural is a trend or not has been popping up a lot lately.  Here's my opinion: it most certainly IS a trend, at least for the last 2 or so years.  Of course no one will admit to the fact that they are following a trend because no one ever wants to be deemed a follower, but in reality following trends can happen so unexpectedly without your knowing that you wouldn't even realize you were following one.

Whenever I think about this topic, the marketing student in me always seems to come out.  Trends are very real and companies and businesses know this all too well.  Why do you think different hair product lines are now emerging with new lines of hair care specifically for natural hair.  Stores like Walmart have even gone as far as to divide the "ethnic" hair section into relaxed hair products and natural hair products. Curls Unleashed, Cantu for Natural Hair, and Dr. Miracle's Curl Care are just a few line extensions that I can think of.  All of these new products are a part of a line that once never had a focus on naturally wavy/curly/kinky/coily hair.  But because of this explosive trend of people wearing their natural hair, these companies and other companies have found a new niche in the market.  The market for natural hair is back in business and becoming larger every day.  These companies are not about to miss out on an opportunity to make a profit off "product junkies".

The trend of natural hair is so prominent now that if you look at commercials, I guarantee you the majority of black women in the commercials will be rocking natural hair (or at least a curly weave).  Going back to real life, look around you, how many women do you see with their natural hair, or a protective style mimicking natural hair? A lot more than you would have seen a few of years ago.

After saying all of that,  please don't mistake what I am really trying to say. I am NOT saying that the reason WHY women are going natural is to be apart of a trend (some might be).  That most definitely isn't my reasoning.  However, I am saying that we have now entered  into an era where it isn't shameful, tacky, or unpopular to be natural.  Therefore the act of going natural is an easier choice for women to make.  If you disagree with me that's fine, but then I have to ask you, what made you choose now as your reason for going natural as opposed to 10 years ago?  Why all of a sudden did you have the epiphany to wear your natural hair?  To be honest, I didn't have the courage nor did I even realize it was possible to "go natural" until my sister did about 4 years ago.  But it's every day people like my sister and celebrities like Solange that make you realize "hey, maybe I can do it too".

To sum this up, yes I do think that natural hair is trending right now, however it isn't a bad trend to follow.  Like all trends, this one will come to an end sooner or later just like it did in the 70's, but I hope that more people will hop on the bandwagon and realize the real beauty and confidence in rocking your natural tresses. 

1 comment:

  1. For me personally & speaking on my behalf! This was not a trend for me, I always wanted to be natural but never knew how to care for it so I would always resort to a relaxer. I transitioned without even knowing what it was called. I just knew that I had to grow out my relaxer so I that was what I intended to do. But ended up cutting it! Lol! For some people it may be a trend but for me this is My Healthy Hair Journey!!!!!

    ReplyDelete