Friday, September 14, 2012

Hair Tip: Co-washing

To the natural hair community conditioner washing or co-washing means to wash your hair as usual, but instead of using shampoo, you would only use conditioner.  Most naturals prefer to co-wash more often than shampooing because it hydrates the scalp (unlike shampoo that can dry your hair out) and is a good way to moisturize and soften hair.  It also allows for easy detangling.  You can co-wash however often you like.  While I was transitioning, I co-washed 2x a week.  Now I do it everyday.  Below are two affordable conditioners that I recommend:
Assuie Moist (400mL) $2.84 online at Walmart

Aussie Moist Conditioner is my favorite.  I used it while my hair was relaxed, transitioning, and natural. It has a think consistency.  The smell is somewhat floral, not to strong. It does a great job of keeping my hair hydrated throughout the day. Aussie's Official Site
VO5 (443mL) Typically $1 or less in most stores
Alberto VO5 (5 Vitamin Oils) conditioners come in a variety of wonderful smells and uses.  There are balancing conditioners, clarifying conditioners, and moisturizing conditioners to  name a few.  The consistency is not too thick, yet not too runny.  I prefer a thicker conditioner (for no specific reason) but this stuff still gets the job done.  VO5 Official Site


No comments:

Post a Comment